Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/functions/core.php on line 27

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/extensions/entry-views.php on line 86
Vector: “Orpheus and Eurydice” -> “(I Used To Make Out With) Medusa”
Print Shortlink

During class discussion it was touched upon that looking at something could lead up to a person’s demise. This is seen in the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. Because Orpheus looks back at Eurydice she is ultimately gone and he is left to a life of his own devices without her. The mythological character Medusa takes on the idea of seeing as a way of control over a person’s life. When someone is looking at her directly, they are turned into stone.

The song “(I Used To Make Out With) Medusa” by Bring Me The Horizon (BMTH) has the elements of Orpheus- love and demise. In the song, BMTH describes a woman whom is ‘dead’ to a man. This could mean figuratively or real life. She is nothing to him because he loved her but she left him for either another or is dead. In the song it states, “I should’ve known/not to look into her eyes…your glare was my demise!” meaning that like the myth of Orpheus, looking at the woman in a loving way was ultimately the man’s detriment. But by the end of the myth, Orpheus is learning to live without her; the man in this song is learning to do that also. This can be seen in the lines near the ending of the song; “Your memory will fade away/every sunrise, every sunset/will help me to forget your name”