Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/functions/core.php on line 27

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/extensions/entry-views.php on line 86
Alice In Wonderland – > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Print Shortlink

In May of the year 1990, L. Frank Baum wrote The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz.  The book tells the story of Dorothy Gale, a girl from Kansas who gets swept away to the magical land of Oz during a tornado.  While in the land of Oz, she befriends a Scarecrow, a Tin Man, and a Cowardly Lion, defeats the Wicked Witch of the West, and makes contact with the Wizard of Oz, who rules the land.  At the end of the tale, she returns home to Kansas after clicking her heels together three times.

The author himself admitted in interviews later that his protagonist, Dorothy Gale, was very much inspired by Alice from the tales of Lewis Carroll, as young readers would find themselves more easily able to relate to a protagonist that was closer to their age.  Baum also shared similar beliefs to Carroll on the subject of children’s literature, as felt the books should be exciting and enjoyable for the young readers without having to toss morals and life lessons at them.

The tales themselves also appear to feature similar elements.  The books both begin with young, female protagonists in a dull “real world” setting.  Through a strange twist of fate, such as falling down a rabbit hole or being swept up by a tornado, they suddenly find themselves in an unfamiliar land where they both make new friends and enemies among the inhabitants of these places.  The ends also seem to share similar beats, as both Alice and Dorothy appear to awake from sleep, making them believe that it was “all a dream.”

5 Responses

1. wendy

Great Vector! I can see how L. Frank Baum got most of his inspiration from “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”. The story with Alice was alot of craziness and randomness. The story of Alice does not really have a meaning or a moral to teach little kids besides using their wicked imagination which is not a bad thing. However, I think that “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” has more of a plot and a point. Dorothy basically does goodness and kindness to those who are living in despair : Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the cowderly lion. There is a so called happy ending with this story compared to Alice being in wonderland. This story teaches children lessons like: being helpful and kind to others. Both stories are fun to read and watch the film interpretations of each.

2. James C. Wallace II

Interesting that your class is looking at similarities between the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. I’ve teamed up with a fellow author to write a book in which Oz and Wonderland combine into a single story. We each chose a world (I took Wonderland and the villains while my co-author took Oz and the heroes). I wrote a chapter and then my co-author wrote the next chapter. Back and forth like a chess match we went until the end when we combined paragraphs in the final battle. It worked so well we decided to do a sequel. For this book, I took Oz and the heroes while my co-author took Wonderland and the villains. It worked so well that later this year, we’ll finish the trilogy and I get to go back to Wonderland and the villains. Oddly enough, I found myself far more comfortable writing the villains than the heroes. Researching the difference between Oz and Wonderland showed me just how many more similarities than differences there truly are.

3. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz –> The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (comic)

[…] Comics’ publication of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz written by Eric Shanower with art by Skottie Young is a marvelously complete graphic novel […]

4. Laurent LaSalle

1990? You meant 1890…

5. Kasha

There is a right way and a ԝrong way to use seɑrch engine oƿtimiƶation. Social Media · Search Engines love Social Mediɑ. A ѡebsitе which is ߋn thе first page of a leading ѕearch engine iis preferred and normally judged above thе others.