Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/functions/core.php on line 27

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/extensions/entry-views.php on line 86
Vector: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland -> Coraline

2 Responses

1. amodernselkie

Interesting idea! Relatedly, when we were talking about the concept of the uncanny in class, this was the first thing that poped into my head. There are fewer things more uncanny than the concept of the Other Mother!

2. zachwhalen

Maybe similar to the unanniness of this “other mother,” W (3.5 year old daughter) woke up yesterday telling me that she had to Daddies: one at home and one at work. She sees me (daddy at home) but sometimes comes to see me (daddy at work) at work. I’ve had a hard time convincing her we are the same person. Like when I — at home — told her that I also go to work, she asked if I go there to visit the other daddy. She explained that she had had a dream which might have confused her. I think she gets it now, but it still is a weird concept for her, for some reason.

It could also be that I’m my own doppelganger. I guess we all are, come to think of it.