Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/functions/core.php on line 27

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/extensions/entry-views.php on line 86
Vector: Lost -> Lost:Via Domus
Print Shortlink

Vector: Lost -> Lost:Via Domus

LOST: Via Domus is a videogame released in 2008 based on the successful TV show Lost. When I first heard they were making this game I was really excited to explore all the great locations and moments from the show. So, I bought the game and quickly realized that it is one of the worst current generation titles I have played. Everything about this game is wrong, the voice acting, the setting, the characters, the plot, the pacing and the locations. EVERYTHING. Not to mention that it is not fun at all. The “puzzles” throughout the game are just plain horrible. The flashback sequences are a bunch of nonsense. Believe me; just avoid this one completely if you can.

You play through the game as a side-character, one of the many random passengers seen in the background throughout the show. This, from the very start crippled the game, as the character has about as much charisma as Frogurt. The game opens with the classic imagery of “Jack opens his eyes in the jungle shot.”  This almost immediately annoyed me, especially after the connotation I draw from this shot due to the series finale. But I’ll give them a pass on that one, simply because this game came out with the release of season 3.

After this, the character, whose name is eventually revealed to be Elliot Maslow, continues through the jungle towards the crash site. Now… c’mon, it seems to me that the best way to have done the opening of this game would have been a chaotic crash scene, perhaps Elliot even wakes up in the water, the looming remains of 815 in the distance. It would have been exciting. You’d be running around helping people, dodging shrapnel. But, no, the game instead has you trek through the jungle for what seems like a very long time, doing nothing, hearing nothing. Eventually you run into Kate, and then you must do the first of many frustrating flashback sequences. WHY would there be a flashback before we even get to the crash site? Did the show have a flashback of jack while HE was running through the jungle towards the crash? NO, because that would be stupid. The Flashback essentially consist of taking pictures with Elliot’s camera as he attempts to remember how he came to be on the island. Believe me, it just doesn’t work.

This is just one very small part of a very flawed game, but it should be enough reason to help you steer clear. I think it’s still worth bringing up this game for a couple of reasons. One, to highlight how not to adapt a series, and two because the LOST mythology could be so great for a videogame. It just would have to be done in a completely different way from the show. This game attempts to recreate the feeling of certain scenes in show, only with a character that we don’t care about. A better approach would have been to give Lost fans control over the characters we love, and then put them in situations that we have never seen on the show. Now, that would be cool on many levels. It could fill in gaps left by the sprawling narrative of the show, and give us great gameplay moments that we’ve never seen.

11 Responses

1. Sam Rodgers

This review is so flawed. This game is one of the best I’ve ever played. Eliot Maslow is a better character than even Locke. At least Eliot was a photographer! Locke was just a piece of junk. I love this game! The sequences of him standing in the banyan trees waiting for the Monster to leave is the best. Better, even, than the classic game Galaga.

2. Kyle

What interests me most is the Banya Trees. Could you talk a little more about those? Maybe how they affect the character’s lives (foraging for food, climbing for exercise etc) and perhaps how they relate to the black smoke, Satan, and the French woman.

Focus on the Banya Trees and I think you’ll have a real winner!

3. Kyle

I really think you need to leave out Lock, Elliot, and the other survivors. The real gem of LOST is the Banyan trees, clearly. You may also want to include the French lady, like I so insightfully included in my previous comment. But, yes, the Banyan trees.

Also, you might want to include the possibility of Lost Via Domus on the PSVita. Why? Because imagine the Banyan trees on a portable PS3. That’s why. Because.

4. Kyle

Yes. And do you have any pictures of the Banyan trees? That would be appreciated.

5. Sam Rodgers

I like the idea about including a Banyan tree montage video to the music of David Glen Eisley ( http://youtu.be/Dp3jda591M4?t=41s ). Oh, no one said that idea? Well, I’m color me surprised, because the Banyan trees would look great with a psychedelic music video.

Have you thought at all about why Locke insists on standing in the Banyan trees and talking to you, then later becomes the Smoke monster (the VERY creature that CAN’T enter said Banyan trees)? Link that into your essay and I’ll give you a good grade.

6. Kyle

Yes, you will certainly need to include that video if you hope for me to give you a decent grading. However, you have still failed to include any picture of these Banyan trees, and I find this disappointing if not altogether bewildering. A three-dimensional motion video of the Banyan trees does not properly capture the essence of these trees without the inclusion of the aforementioned picture(s).

Additionally, ask yourself:

1. Do these Banyan trees represent the lifeblood (e.g. i.e. e.t.c “treehouse”) of the smoke monster’s alternate forms?
    2. Do these Banyan trees embody the the plane which crashed into the island – the very plane that IS that island and quite possibly had Banyan tree seeds in its cargo hold?
    3. Lastly, do the Banyans symbolize the lack of creativity in mainstream aerodynamical mathematics (considering, obviously, the quantum indelible nature of the plants)?
  7. zachwhalen
    Elliot Maslow

… because every lost character has to have a name that means something or references something?

A better approach would have been to give Lost fans control over the characters we love, and then put them in situations that we have never seen on the show. Now, that would be cool on many levels. It could fill in gaps left by the sprawling narrative of the show, and give us great gameplay moments that we’ve never seen.

That could indeed be interesting, but the problem might be that you could end up with some scenario in the game that could contradict with information about a character or situation that comes up later in the show. Kind of like how Enter the Matrix fills gaps in the overarching story line by focusing on minor characters. I guess it just creates risks for the screenwriters, and in a show with so many plots and arcs, it’s probably important that interstitial material like this game or the Lost Experience ARG expand those arcs coherently, like the gracefully intertwining branches of a Banyan tree.