Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/functions/core.php on line 27

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /mnt/nfs/wp-content/themes/hybrid_news/news/library/extensions/entry-views.php on line 86
Vector: Capitol Colours -> Kardashian Kolor
Print Shortlink

It used to be that you could go to WalMart and buy a novelty t-shirt with your favorite cartoon character on it.  TV shows, movies, and even some books advertised and capitalized on the consumerism of merchandise purchased by loyal fans.  In the past few years, however, advertising by means of merchandise has changed significantly.  Perfumes, entire clothing lines, shoes, and makeup and nail polish have all become a means to sell a brand.  When I was younger, I loved the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync but they never had a signature fragrance.  Justin Beiber, however, has his own scent based off of his first album.  I’m sorry to say this, but I don’t crave to smell like a teen pop sensation.  J.Lo and her music career launched their own clothing line a few years back.  Jessica Simpson has a shoe collection and the Olsen Twins have a makeup line available at a store near you.

But wait, there’s more! It doesn’t just stop at tween idols and music stars.  Now, along with movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Hunger Games, Hollywood socialites like the Kardashians are breaking the bank with nail lacquer.  OPI announced recently it’s release of the Kardashian Kolor Kollection – a series of nail polishes with names based on the 5 daughters of Kris Kardashian Jenner and Bruce Jenner.  Colors like “Kim-pletely in Love” and “Kourt is Red-y for a Pedi” have hit the shelves to be consumed by the public who adores the spoiled sisters that plague the tabloids.

Consumers have, in the past few years, created an adaptation of what advertising used to be.  You used to find out about a movie or a book through commercials and posters, trailers and tv spots.  Now, you see the movie in stores before it even hits the silver screen.  Now, you might not even have a movie or album and are just trying to capitalize on the nation’s need to feel glamorous by buying the nail colors with your name attached.

3 Responses

1. shannotated

It’s so interesting how cosmetics are becoming a new form of advertising! I wonder what it is about nail polish that makes it so adaptable for propaganda?

2. kelly o'grady

Right?! Especially because half the time, I don’t know the name of the nail polish you’re wearing. Unless I like it enough to ASK about it and have you tell me “Oh! It’s a Kardashian Kolor.” I’ll never know the difference from it being Red or “Red-y for a Pedi.”

3. Sarah Park

I believe with the Kardashian collection, OPI capitalized on the fact that there are fans that try to emulate these celebrities. Think about it: when Kim Kardashian announced in multiple interviews that MAC’s “Angel” lipstick was her favourite shade, nearly everybody who loved the Kardashian ran to the MAC counters to pick one up. Even though they are millions of dupes of that baby pink shade in drug stores, there is a certain level of luxury and exclusivity saying that you’re wearing the same lipstick as Kim.

I believe those feelings are replicated whenever you buy the same kind of lacrosse stick as your favourite athlete or place your hands on your favourite actor’s star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It isn’t exactly the product that impresses people but the emotions that it provokes.